Zeeland, Mich — The Mudflap is a fun, team challenge biking event. Think Amazing Race-meets-Fed Ex delivery-meets-bicycles!
Alley Cat According to Wikipedia:
An alley cat race is an informal bicycle race. Alley cats almost always take place in cities, and are often organized by bicycle messengers. The informality of the organization is matched by the emphasis on taking part, rather than simple competition.
Alley cats reflect the personality, contemporary environment and competitive interest of their organizer(s). Races may be extremely grueling and designed to eliminate all but the fastest and best overall messenger, or less competitive and designed to be enjoyed by the local messenger community around set holidays, such as NYC’s July 4 Alleycat.
That’s where you come into the picture! There will be 10 stops on The Mudflap. Each stop is sponsored by a local business. Here are the details:
1) Suggested donation of $500 to Susan G. Komen & “own” a site
2) Select an “activity” for bikers to accomplish at your site.
3) Set up, stay at your spot for the duration of the biking portion of the event, and clean up. (1-4pm)
4) Return to Tripelroot for an awards ceremony & info by Susan G. Komen staff. (4:30pm-5pm) Be prepared to give a “Best ________” award to a team/teams of your choice.
5) Enjoy dinner, live music, and festivities at Tripelroot! (5pm-??)
Each rider participating in The Mudflap must sign up in the taproom or on bikereg.com. Donation is $25 and includes dinner. Teams can be formed of 2-6 people. Mudflap t-shirts will be available for a donation to Susan G. Komen as well.
New for 2017 is the Mullet Competition. Natural hair or wigs will be cut into mullets, and a panel of judges will determine the Best Skilled Mullet Shaper & the Best Mullet. Participants will donate $25 to be entered & Salon/Mullet Experts will donate $25 to attempt to cut the perfect mullet.
Last year $3,181 was raised for Susan G. Komen West MI!