In sharp contrast to a city built on politics—a force with the power to polarize millions, beer just proved to have the strength to do the exact opposite. Nearly 15,000 professionals just converged for a week in Washington, D.C. for Craft Brewers Conference & BrewExpo America®, the industry’s largest annual convention, hosted by the Brewers Association.
We attended because… well, beer, of course. And so did an honorable contingency from Michigan. When I travel to a new city or an international destination, the last thing I want to consume is something I can get back at home. You’ll never catch me eating a Big Mac in Europe (or domestically, for that matter, but you get the point). However, when you see people from all over the U.S. waiting excitedly in line for MI beer, and then bummed when the keg of Two Hearted kicks, it makes you feel proud to be an American, reppin’ The Mitten State.
On Wed, Apr. 12, Michigan Brewers Guild threw a party, Michigan Hoppy Hour, at Capital Lounge, and picked up a generous bar tab that I can only imagine had a few zeros on it. For a couple hours, we hung out with our arms around our friends from back home, and got to watch D.C. locals gush about the beer we have at our fingertips on any given day. It makes you pause, and realize we’re a part of something special—regardless of whether you voted for Trump.
To all those from MI we bumped into, saw in passing, or shared a few pints with throughout the week, here’s to you—a shout-out!
- Shannon from Michigan Brewers Guild
- Jeff from Harmony Brewing
- Mitch from Speciation Artisan Ales
- Chris and Brendan from Transient Artisan Ales
- Rings and Matt from Cedar Springs Brewing Company
- Jeff from Rockford Brewing Company
- Dave, Francesca, Lauren, and Jason from Founders Brewing Co
- Jason, Kate, Jacob, Brooks, and Josh from Brewery Vivant
- Chris and Max from The Mitten Brewing Co.
- Mike from Cheboygan Brewing Company
- Fred, JP, Adam, Mark, and Isaac from New Holland
- Tim from Territorial Brewing
- Dave from City Built Brewing Company
- Stephen from Batch Brewing Company
- Brian from StormCloud Brewing
- Brad and Matt from Atwater Brewery
- Erik, John, and Michael from Pilot Malt House
- OpenRoad Brewery
- Jay and Steve from North Pier Brewing Company
- Matt and Rene from Arbor Brewing
- Boyd and Chris from Coldbreak Brewing Equipment
- Steve from Hunter’s Handmade Brewery
- Brew Detroit
- Laura & crew from Bell’s Brewery
- Steve from Henry A. Fox
- Justin & crew from Hop Head Farms
- Brown Iron Brewhouse
- North Channel Brewing
- Alliance Beverage Distributing
- Imperial Beverage
Photography: Steph Harding