The importance music and beer hold on a city’s culture are immense, but especially the rich history of both in Grand Rapids.
With Grand Rapids Beer Week set to begin Feb. 19, it’s also time to launch the BeerCity Music Series. A few conversations with musicians and brewers alike have shown that there’s a symbiotic relationship between the two and it should be celebrated.
In collaboration with media sponsor MittenBrew, this first attempt at the series is an experiment, to see what could become of music in the brewing industry. While large, there’s a large sector open for the creativity of the two to come together.
With original music venues dying and the craft beer industry exploding but with infinite room for growth, the pair seems made for each other.
The week will consist of five, short-set shows at area breweries. The sets and interviews will be recorded for a future production.
The week will look like this:
- 7 p.m. Monday – Simien the Whale at Brewery Vivant
- 5 p.m. Tuesday – Valentiger at Mitten Brewing Co.
- 8 p.m. Wednesday – Chris Andrus at Rockford Brewing Co.
- 4 p.m. Thursday – Nick James at White Flame Brewing Co.
- 2 p.m. Friday – Chance Jones at Founders Brewing Co.
Be sure to look for more events like this in the near future.
Updated 2/13/13: Added Founders and musical act to the list of performances.