10th Annual Michigan Cask Ale Festival Showcasing Largest Selection in the State
WESTLAND – The Michigan Cask Ale Festival returns Saturday, May 13, to Ashley’s Beer & Grill, 7525 Wayne Road. The Festival is the largest offering of cask-conditioned craft beers at one time anywhere in the state.
More than 20 cask ales from renowned breweries across Michigan and from coast-to-coast across the U.S. will be pouring from 2pm to 5 pm. This year’s Festival will include a special offering of Michigan nanobreweries, small craft breweries that self-distribute and thus are generally not available outside of their local community.
Cask ale, also called real ale, represents the traditional, centuries-old way of serving ale, unfiltered and naturally carbonated by the live yeast in the vessel it’s served from. This cask conditioning results in a more complex, delicately flavorful beer, closer to the way the brewer intended than when it’s poured on a draft system. Because these beers are hand made, brewers can create new and unique flavors in the cask not possible in regular draft craft beer.
“Most venues can’t serve cask ale, what we call ‘the craft beer of craft beer,’ because the living nature of the beers means they require special handling,” said Roy More, co-owner of Ashley’s. “As the market for craft beer explodes, more and more beer lovers are seeking something special. Ashley’s is committed to providing them with unique taste experiences they can’t find anywhere else.”
Participating Michigan breweries include Arbor (Ypsilanti), Arcadia Ales (Battle Creek), Arclight (Watervliet), Batch Brewing (Detroit), Ellison (East Lansing) , Founders Brewing (Grand Rapids), Greenbush Brewing (Sawyer), Griffin Claw (Birmingham), Kuhnhen (Warren), Liberty Street (Plymouth), New Holland Brewing (Holland), Odd Side Ales (Grand Haven), Short’s (Bellaire), Speciation Artisan Ales (Comstock), Transient Artisan Ales (Bridgeman) and Witch’s Hat (South Lyon). There will also be special casks from Blake’s Cidery and Northville Winery.
The Festival also brings in these unique beers from across the country. From California (Lagunitas) and Utah (Epic) to Maryland (Heavy Seas) and Great Lakes (Ohio).
Tickets are $35 at the door. For the latest info on the Festival, including the list of rare and even unique Follow the Festival’s Facebook page and Ashley’s Westland on Twitter (@ashleyswestland).
- Arbor Brewing Company Microbrewery: Buzzsaw with Mosaic and pink peppercorn
- Arcadia Ales: Mango Surprise and Whitsun with Habanero
- Arclight Brewing Company: Mojito Moe’s IPA
- Batch Brewing Company: Passion Fruit Pulque – Traditional Mexican fermented beverage made from agave with Passion Fruit.
- Ellison Brewery + Spirits: Sexy Little Thing – Double Dry Hopped all New Zealand Hopped IPA 7% ABV. This is a beer that is an experiment for them and you will be the first one outside of the taproom to pour it with an additional hop charge to the firkin
- Epic: Los Locos Mexican Lager with lime & sea salt
- Founders Brewing Co.: Dirty Bastard with hazelnut praline.
- Great Lakes Brewing Company: Turntable Pilsner with sichuan peppercorn
- Greenbush Brewing Co.:
- Griffin Claw: Nawt a Cawp – with grapefruit purée
- Heavy Seas Beer: Custom Loose Canon – with Citra, Equinox, Simcoe, Apple and Maple woods and Orange peel
- Kuhnhenn: Porter Colada – Pineapple coconut flavored porter.
- Lagunitas Brewing Co: Lagunator California Common with Simcoe dry hop
- Liberty Street: Pub House Brown – a Southern English Mild.
- New Holland Brewing Co.: Poet Stout
- Odd Side Ales: Peach Mango Dirty Dank Juice
- Short’s Brewing Company: Space Rock with citrus zest
- Speciation Artisan Ales: Dry Hopped Genetic Drift Batch #3 dry hopped with Citra and Vojvodina hops
- Transient Artisan Ales: Honeystone with mosaic, lemon lime zest, local honey
- Witch’s Hat Brewing Company: Three Kord Kolsch with Orange Zest & Cranberries
Founded in 1983 next to the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor, Ashley’s has been proud to serve its guests a wide selection of great beers from around the world for over three decades. Today, as “Michigan’s premier multi-tap,” Ashley’s features an ever-rotating lineup of flavorful draft beers from nearly 120 different taps at our two locations in Ann Arbor and Westland, as well as more than 80 bottled beer selections.
Ashley’s was rated one of the Top 100 Beer Bars by DRAFT Magazine in and Top 50 Beer Restaurants by RateBeer.com and most recently as one of the Top 33 Craft Beer Bars in the Country by ThrillList