In college, the beer began to flow on Thursday evenings. But I got older, and figured that Thursdays belonged to the young’uns. Then I moved to Ann Arbor, and discovered Arbor Brewing Company’s (ABC) monthly beer tastings. And for a long time, a certain Thursday each month belonged to them. The schedule of styles repeated every year, but the different beers and tasty buffet were enough to keep me coming back. But then I got busy, and figured I had probably tried most of the beers in the cycle, so I left Thursdays to the young folk once again.
To paraphrase a better writer than me, these Thursdays are a’changing. ABC is unveiling a new look to both the brewpub and to its Thursday tastings. Event Manager Elizabeth Cain-Toth says, “The Beer Tastings have been amazing over the past decade! We felt like it was time to revitalize the tastings along with the revitalization of the brewpub and menu. Offering different styles of beers relating to each theme will hopefully offer a fresh and enjoyable experience for both new and long-standing participants.”
On the second Thursday of each month, attendees will journey through the wonderful world of beer via a style of the month:
- February: For the Love of Hops
- March: In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb (sessions or high gravity—nothing in between)
- April: Foolishness (outlandish adjuncts)
- May: Old World Ales & Lagers
- June: Summer Solstice (summer beers)
- July: Made in Michigan
- August: Think Global, Drink Local (breweries committed to sustainability)
- September: Fall Favorites
- October: Spooky Scary (names inspired by monsters, etc.)
- November: Wild Winter (funky, tart, tangy beers)
- December: Home for the Holidays (winter beers)
What can we expect on the second Thursday in February? Co-owner Rene Greff says, “We are always looking for things that guests will find interesting – sometimes because they are new brands, sometimes amazing historic brands, sometimes just a really interesting twist on a style.” She adds that the tastings in February “will go beyond IPAs.”
The party kicks off on February 10 at 7:00pm and tickets are still $25 in advance and $30 the day of. There will still be a buffet, a door prize drawings and, surely, plenty of calls for “SOCIAL” drinks. Back to drinking on Thursdays for me!