All Hallows Eve. As children, we relished in the yearly ritual where we were able to dress in costume, knock on our neighbor’s doors and fill our buckets with candy. As adults, we might still dress up. The majority of us will most likely consume the candy we did as children. But some things change. As craft beer enthusiasts, the time for pairing that candy with our favorite Michigan brews is now. Here’s a list of recommended pairings to liven up your Halloween weekend.
The “Angry Pumpkin”
Autumn in Michigan means cooling temps and a slew of fall and pumpkin themed beers. Before the holiday big brother Christmas swoops in and takes over, be sure to pair your favorite pumpkin beer with a spicy form of candy to kick things up a notch.
- Candy: Atomic Fireballs, Red Hots, Hot Tamales, Spice Drops
- Beer: Griffin Claw Screamin’ Pumpkin, New Holland Ichabod, Short’s Funkin’ Punkin
The “Milk on Milk”
Milk chocolate candy is a time-honored tradition in the candy world. And if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Just add to it with some of Michigan’s finest milk stouts. Cavity City, here we come.
- Candy: Milky Way, Whoppers, Hershey’s Milk Chocolate
- Beer: Saugatuck Neapolitan Milk Stout, Kuhnhenn Michigan Mud, Rochester Mills Milkshake Stout
The “Sweet and Savory”
You know the type of candy that gets stuck in your teeth? The kind that will pull your fillings out? That’s what we’re talking about here. We’re also talking about rich and malty brews with the same level of sweetness. Grab an old ale to rinse that toffee out of your teeth, kids.
- Candy: Heath Bar, Toblerone, Wether’s Original, Toffee Chews
- Beer: Kuhnhenn 4D (or BB4D if you’re feeling frisky), Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale, Bell’s Third Coast Ale, Arcadia Big Dick’s Old Ale
The “Grown and Sexy”
Oh yeah, you know what this is about. No, it’s not Valentine’s Day. It’s Halloween and you’re an adult. Grab yourself some dark chocolate for you and your significant other, pour up one of these liquid sweet tarts.
- Candy: Hershey’s, Dove and Ghirardelli dark chocolates
- Beer: Dark Horse Raspberry Ale, Founders Rübæus, Short’s Soft Parade
The “Liquid Dinner”
Have you ever heard someone say they had to “chew” the beer they just had a sip of? Chances are, it was some form of a barrel-aged beer. Michigan has some of the best to offer in that category. Just be careful when pairing these brews with candy — you might end up with Wilford Brimley on his commercials.
- Candy: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, Twix
- Beer: Arcadia Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter, Bell’s Black Note, Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th, Founders KBS, New Holland Dragon’s Milk
The “Refreshing Chew”
Let’s face it, not everyone is a chocolate lover. For those who prefer the lighter side of things, this is your realm. Those of you who need that gelatin consistency in your life, don’t forget to wash it down with some of those fine Michigan hops to balance your palate out.
- Candy: Sour Patch Kids, Starburst, Skittles, Gummy Bears
- Beer: Odd Side Citra, Founders All Day IPA, Greenbush Closure, Kuhnhenn DRIPA
What about you? What are some of your favorite Halloween candy and Michigan beer pairings? Comment below and let us know what we should try!