Want a chance to enjoy some unique beers and support clean water?
The Huron River Watershed Council and five Michigan microbreweries celebrate the Huron River with special public events on Thursdays beginning Aug. 11 with Wolverine State Brewing Company.
Each brewer has something special planned for its night and will donate a portion of their proceeds to HRWC. Participating breweries are Wolverine, Jolly Pumpkin (Aug. 18), Grizzly Peak (Aug. 25), Arbor Brewing (Sept. 1) and Blue Tractor (Sept. 8).
Beer is around 90 percent water, and it takes quality water to brew good beer, says HRWC member Margaret M. Smith. Ann Arbor brewers get their water from Huron River, the cleanest in Southeast Michigan.
Attendees to all five events are eligible to win 10 months of beer or a priority spot for Jolly Pumpkin’s limited beer releases. Winners are announced Sept. 8 at Blue Tractor.
Details of each evening are as follows:
- Wolverine, 2019 West Stadium, http://wolverinebeer.com/. Starting at 6 p.m. with free pizza, live entertainment and beer specials all night. Get your Brew for the River Passport at Wolverine.
- Jolly Pumpkin, 311 South Main, http://www.jollypumpkin.com/. Brewer Ron Jefferies premieres Hummocky Lick Sumac Sensation starting at 4 p.m
- Grizzly Peak, 120 W. Washington, http://grizzlypeak.net/. Starting at 4 p.m. Grizzly features its full food and beer menu plus the Watershed Ale: a cask of house-made beer flavored with a blend of herbs native to the Huron River watershed.
- Arbor Brewing, 114 E. Washington, http://www.arborbrewing.com/. From 4-7 p.m. ABC celebrates completion of its Green Brewery Project. Matt and Rene of ABC will talk about the green impact of the project followed by a brief talk by Laura Rubin, ED of HRWC. Enjoy the special Blackberry Blonde beer special-made for the event.
- Blue Tractor, 205 E. Washington, http://www.bluetractor.net/. Brewer Tim Schmidt brews a Huron River Celebration brew, a small batch beer specifically for the event. 50 percent of the proceeds of that beer go to HRWC along with 10 percent of all growler and Mug Club Membership sales.
HRWC works to protect the source of safe, clean water everyday. Visit http://www.hrwc.org/events/brew-for-the-river/, to learn more, including how to get a Brews for the River passport to win prizes.